Sunday, September 9, 2012

Oppression (SMH)


Oppression
I liked how the article starts off saying that women are oppressed. But I also liked how it points that if women are oppressed than men must be oppressed as well. “Wish I believe is true.” If the women in the men lives are suffering and are not happy, what makes you believe that the men will have peace in their lives? Men are to be tough never show a sign of weakness but if a women was to be mean, bitter, angry, or dangerous they would say that she is oppressed. Stating that we as women are “difficult” or unpleasant to work with” (pg. 175) One thing that really caught my eyes was when they talked about women’s sexual actively, it seem that either way a women could not win. If she was to be heterosexual and was actively open with it, she would be punished in the form of criticism, snide and embarrassing remakes. She would have been labeled as an easy lay by all others. She would have to hide the fact that she is sleeping around with other man for her mom and dad. On the flip side if she were to refrain for heterosexual activity, she would be continually picked on and harassed by men who would try and talk to her. The labeled she would have being placed with would be frigid, uptight, man-hater, bitch, and/or cocktease. (pg. 175) But if she were to refrain for heterosexual activity those same parents of her would look at her funny as if she id not or will be popular with the men. “WOW!! And they wondering why women are oppressed, in a world fill with men there is no winning. Either women do what they would and get called out and looked down upon or do what the men want/say and get labeled as an easy lay.   

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you in the sense that women can not "win" with men. But I think a lot of what your talking about has to do with the way men are brought up. For instance my father is what I and most women would consider to be a 'pig'. His dad was the same, and so on. I would consider my mother to be an active feminist and I learned a lot from her and would like to think that I respect women in a way not to judge their sexual activity.

    ReplyDelete