Sunday, September 30, 2012

Compulsory Heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence" by Rich


Okay so PLEASE BARE with me, I was totally lost and Confused when reading this :-( 

But what I understood was that Rich was pretty much believes that compulsory heterosexuality stands for we are bound to be heterosexual. Society is the main reason why we are they we are. Society influences the way we think, believe, feel, and how we are to love. But for lesbians they are not equal as heterosexual are. Rich states how lesbians frequently have to hide their orientation so they wouldn’t be victimized against in the workplace, or in society.
·      A few things that Rich pointed out that left me speechless were
o   Lesbians have been fired from institutions that were created by feminists
o   Lesbians have been fired from their jobs
o   Feminists novels, poems, writings are mainly heterosexual, and they don’t reference lesbians at all

Lastly She talks about lesbian presence by stating how lesbians do not actually exist in civilization. Rich goes on about how lesbians are not talked about society or in writings. And continues to repeated herself as the article goes which I still get more and more confused, but this is what I was able to pull from Ms. Rich.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you and how the author goes round and round in a circle in regards to the topic. I decided to read the letters in order to understand the reading more, because she had to explain her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I thought I was the only one who notice that.

      Delete
  2. Also agree, I think the article was overkill after awhile. The same things were being said. I think you got the basic gist of the article though. It was a hard one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad other people were thinking the same thing where they read the article and that I wasn't the only one. =]

    ReplyDelete